Fantasy Cabin Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So... What now?

4 posters

Go down

So... What now? Empty So... What now?

Post by Poetic-Jessie Wed May 04, 2016 4:24 pm

That's right. What now? How are we all relaxing after Camp NaNo? Are you avoiding the computer for a few days (like me)? Are you throwing yourself into your favourite games/TV shows? Are you reading all of the interesting books that you put off during April? Are you trying to get rid of the monitor tan you've developed over the last month (like me)?

I'll tell you what I'm doing. I've swapped my monitor tan for a TV tan and I'm watching a comedy series. I might also look at all of the books that I bought in the last few months, which are still on my To-Be-Read pile, and start reading through them.
Poetic-Jessie
Poetic-Jessie

Back to top Go down

So... What now? Empty Re: So... What now?

Post by Elowen-Astrid Wed May 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Relaxing sounds so nice. I have a rather busy schedule due to university, but I try to do fun things too. I started exercising again. I ran six kilometers today and did 40 minutes of hooping.  Not very interesting, I know. But I do watch tv-shows in the evening (game of thrones, Vikings and black sails) and I sometimes a play a video game Smile . Oh and I also started sewing again. One of my current projects is a medieval dress which is coming along nicely now.
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieglinde Thu May 05, 2016 3:37 am

I'm still working on the story and already thinking about a loose sequel.

Also still want to write a shorter novella/screenplay idea set in the Edo era...

And playing Inquisition until I fall asleep in front of the computer.
Sieglinde
Sieglinde

Back to top Go down

Post by Poetic-Jessie Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 am

Elowen-Astrid wrote:I started exercising again. I ran six kilometers today and did 40 minutes of hooping.  Not very interesting, I know. But I do watch tv-shows in the evening (game of thrones, Vikings and black sails) and I sometimes a play a video game Smile . Oh and I also started sewing again. One of my current projects is a medieval dress which is coming along nicely now.

Exercising is probably a good idea for me... It's approaching the end of Autumn in Australia, so I can't go swimming like I want to (heated pools in Australia are few and far between, especially in sunny and hot Queensland, where I live). I love to dance, though, (zumba in particular) and thankfully I can do that at any time of the year, so I might see if I can sign up to some classes or something.

I used to be a fan of game of thrones, but it's gotten a bit too dark for me to continue watching it T_T I've seen vikings on Netflix, so I might check that out but I've never heard of black sails. I'll look it up and see if it's available in Australia. I haven't heard of Smile either, I'll check that out too. I used to play a game called Guild Wars 2 and played only that for about 2 years straight (it was a good game, with lots of interesting things to keep me entertained).

I've never made something as intricate as a medieval dress, most of the things I've sewn were for cosplay or LARPing. My friends and I used to dress up to go to anime and popular culture conventions, but they only come in November and for the last two years I've been doing NaNoWriMo instead of making costumes. I suppose I could try to make it earlier this year and plan better... But we'll see what this year brings ^_^

Sieglinde wrote:I'm still working on the story and already thinking about a loose sequel.

Also still want to write a shorter novella/screenplay idea set in the Edo era...

And playing Inquisition until I fall asleep in front of the computer.

If you're like me and found the NaNo word tracker useful, can I suggest http://www.tracylucas.net/13-free-writing-tools-meter-tracker-word-counter-widget/606 I've just downloaded the yearly spreadsheet (with some great artwork) from Svenja Liv and will fill it out and start working on it once I've recovered from NaNo...

Now that I've finished my first book, I'll work on my second in that series. I'm dreading it because I need to rewrite two of my characters and all of the scenes each of them are in... T_T

A story set in the Edo era sounds interesting, it reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin and maybe Inuyasha (even though they're set in the Meiji era and Tenbun era respectively)... I guess what I'm saying is I like the historical fictions, they're interesting.

Even though the icon has been staring at me from the desktop for the entire month, I still haven't played Inquisition yet... I will get to it one day! Until then, it will continue to look at me, playing the waiting game.
Poetic-Jessie
Poetic-Jessie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieglinde Thu May 05, 2016 7:07 am

Inquisition is beautiful, but the loading times are just. so. long. Also, there is no heal spell, only useless "barriers". Ugh. But the story is great, once you get it moving. I suggest going to Val Royeaux ASAP, that kicks stuff into motion.

Sieglinde
Sieglinde

Back to top Go down

Post by Poetic-Jessie Thu May 05, 2016 10:39 pm

I think I just got up to the Val Royeaux in Inquisition when I stopped. But I just hopped on the fantasy name generator and I found a very Skyrim-like city name... Now all I want to do is go exploring in Skyrim...
Poetic-Jessie
Poetic-Jessie

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid Sat May 07, 2016 6:51 am

Poetic-Jessie wrote:I haven't heard of Smile either, I'll check that out too

I don't know what happend but it was supposed to be a smiley face. 

Poetic-Jessie wrote:I've never made something as intricate as a medieval dress, most of the things I've sewn were for cosplay or LARPing.

I find that, once you get the pattern done, construction is is not that hard. It just takes a lot of time if you want to do stuff by hand. The patterns are also not that hard, but it just takes a while before you get it right. I make 15th century stuff, but I do want to try my hand at Viking. Sewing things for cosplay and larp seems way harder because their patterns can be asymmetrical. But maybe that is just me. I find sewing modern garments way more confusing. 

Sieglinde wrote:And playing Inquisition until I fall asleep in front of the computer.

I love DA Inquisition (and the trespasser dlc) , but at the moment I am playing Skyrim again. I pretty much abandoned the dragonborn quest-line and ran after a dog named Barbas.
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieglinde Sun May 08, 2016 2:32 am

I still have to do Skyrim. And probably many other things. Apart from a visual novel and some old Wolfenstein 3D, Dragon Age is my first true game.
Sieglinde
Sieglinde

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:26 am

Hi all ^^ So camp July is over as well. How did camp July go and what are you doing now? I went to a festival called Castlefest last weekend and it was lots of fun. It is a huge fantasy event that has a writers market as well. So aside from dancing and other fun stuff I got to talk with other writers and a publisher as well. For the rest of august I will be writing (and world-building) and sewing and I will be helping at two sword fighting events as well.
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophie Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:10 pm

Wow! Castlefest does sound like lots of fun. I'm so jealous that you have such events available in your area. I would love the chance to be able to talk face to face with other people interested in fantasy writing.

I was busy through most of August (since I took a trip back to Australia) but i want to start up again now I'm back home. How are you going?
Sophie
Sophie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Castlefest is a lot of fun and I am happy to live in a country where everything is nearby and that has a huge fantasy scene. I did not get to write at all during July and August, but I really want to start writing again and I have a new friend who comes up with lots of ideas for my project. How was your trip to Australia?
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophie Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:04 am

Yeah! I've always heard that the Netherlands (and a lot of places in Northern Europe) is the best place for anything fantasy related. I'm so jealous! Japan is good for anime but that's not particularly inspiring for writing :p and I do miss LARPing a lot too and general costuming.

Ahh your friend sounds awesome. XD Maybe I should start sharing my work around with my friends for advice. I definitely want to write more in September and I really want to participate in November's Nanowrimo!

Australia was pretty great too. It was nice to be home *_* it was really relaxing too.
Sophie
Sophie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:39 pm

I think it is always good to be home. It is good to hear you had a good time.

I am sorry for not being on here very often. Life keeps me pretty busy but I did get some new inspiration and insights for world building, so that is nice. That friend that I mentioned, well he is my boyfriend now, but he is an amazing help when it comes to how people think and act.
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum