Introduce your protagonist

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Introduce your protagonist

Post by Sieglinde on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:19 pm

There will be her two dwarven friends, some humans, an elf assassin, and the aforementioned giantess. Possibly a golem, I'll see. I have a weakness for golems. I already have about 8-9 party members.

Giantess will probably be very fond of her smol adoptive mom. Very Happy
Sieglinde

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall17 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:22 am

Call Me Nefret wrote:
Sign of lineage. Seers (my catch-all term for the people group, as not all of them have the same abilities) all have purple eyes, although of varying shades. While the eye color is very rare, people did know what it meant from the legends and stories about the race.

Thanks! I had actually just finished reading Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey when I started writing it. I  first wrote it by hand and then went to type it up and started paring back on the more weirder aspects of Regency voice.

I'm actually using two of my favorite Medieval names for this story, both for the seers. Mirabel I found while looking for fantasy names for an RP on another site. Sydelle I found from a fantasy book I read and is now the name for the 8 year old seer Mirabel tutors.

Realized I never responded to this. We need more emoticons...

People who write by hand inspire me. I started out writing by hand because I didn't have a computer available. I had over a hundred pages...but it was all garbage so I trashed it lol. So glad I'm the only person to ever read it!

I love the name Sydelle, too. <3 <3 <3
Waterfall17

View user profile http://www.lynannecarroll.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall17 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:56 am

Call Me Nefret wrote:

Well that is essentially like switching POV. Although I think the proper term for that type of writing would be dovetail. Wherein all the books take place in the same paradigm/reality, but they each have different main characters and plotlines. I have done some first person POV from the villain's perspective and there is nothing else like it.

Oh boy. Y'all are going to hate me LOL

--Agreed on the thrill. Sounds like fun to read as well ^_^!--

Ok, so initially the project--SPHERES--seems fairly simple, but then you dive in and everything gets complicated really, really fast and hurts your brain. Or maybe it just hurts MY brain. But I digress--it's got so many components; the intricacy is what makes it complicated.

As a whole, perhaps it is dovetailing, but if so, it's dovetailing that's never been seen before. Yes, POV switches for each novel (though each novel is limited to 1 pov: the protagonist's), but if you take a bird's eye view of things, the switching is more like a combination of how GoT switches in chapters through the book (I despise GoT, btw, I just have no better illustration at the moment) and the idea Meyer had for writing Twilight from Edward's perspective (Twilight, Bella's pov; Midnight Sun, Edward's pov).

Fairly simple. Here's where it gets a little more difficult:

All of the perspectives are contained within the same overarching timeline/frame. Kind of like...a car accident occurs, and 8 witnesses tell you their version of what happened. Except this tactic obviously would get boring unless it was contained in 1-3 novels with perspectives switching throughout...UNLESS there was stretching back and forth.

My current tagline is One Story. Eight Journeys.

Nikaiya's story is written entirely in the present and the plot focuses on the fulfillment of the prophecy of the spheres and the conflict between Land and Sea--mostly Sea. It's a quest storyline.

The next book, Kara's story, is written in past tense with the exception of her flashbacks. This plot is more internal, focusing on her turbulent reconciliation with herself over the death of her younger twin and her struggle to overcome the curse awakened from the trauma (Ipsen's Syndrome...I'll save that for another time if anyone's interested). The external plot addresses undercurrents of Land's--mostly Atim's--involvement in the war.

Overall what I'm trying to get at here is that the main characters don't really change; you'll see the same 8 throughout the series. Some of these main characters will have a greater impact in a particular protagonist's story; for example, in Nikaiya's, Miaka (the mentor/friend) and Alaknishen (the love interest) are "major" main characters. In Kara's story, two different characters are major...but in all of the stories, each of the 8 impacts one another.

Does any of this make sense?? I'm sure I've explained it better but my brain's giving me a hard time today haha

Call Me Nefret wrote:
I am intrigued by the idea of no dangerous creatures in general. Does the world still have landscapes that are hard to live on or does it appear to be like a geographical utopia? No dangerous creatures would mean no predators, which gives your land an entirely different food chain. Are the animals all herbivores then? And does that translate to the human (or humanoid, in this case) realm?

Bahaha! The need for qualifiers once again shows itself...

I am a destroyer of ecosystems lol. Seriously, no dangerous creatures is really more of a 'no dangerous creatures for humans' rule. Rather than being an exciting way to present the world, it's just laziness...I didn't want to have to deal with my characters encountering things like that along the way. There are a couple exceptions, but no one really has a chance to explore them. I may change this. For now, it doesn't interest me haha

The landscapes, on the other hand, can be wondrous and/or treacherous. One area in particular has, uh, gravity issues. When the group heads to the place where the spheres are housed, the journey is extremely dangerous; mountains and quakes and lightning/storms...and that's not even getting into the 'trials'.
Waterfall17

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall17 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:00 am

Poetic-Jessie wrote:

Sorry, I would have posted this sooner, but my cat was sick (taking her to the vet tomorrow). I agree with you. Depression sucks. So does PTSD, anxiety, etc. It takes a while to recover from constantly pushing yourself too far every day.

I don't really know what else to say, but I wanted to acknowledge this and say that I agree with you Smile

No prob!! I just got slammed the past couple days and am sort of catching up now...

Thanks for the kind words ^_^.

How is your cat?
Waterfall17

Back to top Go down

Post by Waterfall17 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:14 am

Poetic-Jessie wrote:

I was wondering if we should make a new thread and introduce our antagonists? Considering they're a lot of fun to write and they're also very important because we wouldn't really have a story without them. Also, this might help us to get to know them, what drives them etc.
I'm curious about these dragon callers and how they make dragons dangerous. Are there other callers? Can someone make a rabbit dangerous? (I'm thinking of Monty Python's Holy Grail). I'm also curious about the ecosystem of your world.

I love the antagonist idea! In my series, antagonists pop up like in One Piece *smh*. Not quite as bad, but there are a lot of them. Thankfully each book is reasonable lol

So dragon callers. I haven't worked out everything, but I got the idea from a hodgepodge of desires and a daydream. Dragons seem to have either a great or a terrible rep. I wanted to somehow do things differently. I was musing about them and how to avoid tropiness when I saw Nikaiya...singing (more like wailing)...to an irekarn that was about to attack, and suddenly it stopped. Its eyes cleared and lost their expression of rage, and instead of attacking, it beckoned her and showed her an underwater city/village.

Nikaiya was as stunned by the moment as I was. The more I thought about it, the more I realized irekarn were not naturally violent; the Seabreather with the gift of calling could draw them into (or out of) a frenzy...kind of like a spell of bemusement. I'm not sure why yet.

The gift is only available to Seabreathers, just as the abilities of Skydancers and the Cursed are only theirs. However, not every Seabreather has the gift. I also haven't worked out why this is. I do know that it's not really random, though; it has a pattern based on lineage.

I have a lot of work to do T_T
Waterfall17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieglinde on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:39 am

Maybe one thread for supporting cast? I think a lot of us will have the usual fantasy problem of Too Damn Many Characters Very Happy
Sieglinde

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:26 am

Sieglinde wrote:Maybe one thread for supporting cast? I think a lot of us will have the usual fantasy problem of Too Damn Many Characters Very Happy

Well, I love hearing about everyone's characters, so I'm in Smile I don't have a lot of character (yet) but I am sure that will change if I get further into the story
Elowen-Astrid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Call Me Nefret on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:11 am

Waterfall17 wrote:

Bahaha! The need for qualifiers once again shows itself...

I am a destroyer of ecosystems lol. Seriously, no dangerous creatures is really more of a 'no dangerous creatures for humans' rule. Rather than being an exciting way to present the world, it's just laziness...I didn't want to have to deal with my characters encountering things like that along the way. There are a couple exceptions, but no one really has a chance to explore them. I may change this. For now, it doesn't interest me haha

The landscapes, on the other hand, can be wondrous and/or treacherous. One area in particular has, uh, gravity issues. When the group heads to the place where the spheres are housed, the journey is extremely dangerous; mountains and quakes and lightning/storms...and that's not even getting into the 'trials'.

My trick for qualifiers is to always ask myself the asinine questions all the "haters" would ask. "Uh, but how did their clothes magically change when they traveled through time?" "Magic of the medallion, asshole".

But you could make it simple. Say that animals have an extreme fear of humans, more so than animals in our world. Then the ecosystem is still intact, but you wont have to worry about a sudden bear attack or something.
Call Me Nefret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Call Me Nefret on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:24 am

Waterfall17 wrote:

Realized I never responded to this. We need more emoticons...

People who write by hand inspire me. I started out writing by hand because I didn't have a computer available. I had over a hundred pages...but it was all garbage so I trashed it lol. So glad I'm the only person to ever read it!

I love the name Sydelle, too. <3 <3 <3

Well I had recently bought myself a clipboard and I wanted to use it. I also love the classic yellow wood pencils. They make me feel strangely studious. It was nice, because I would be writing while I was watching something on my laptop. You could definitely tell I originally began writing it at night. XD I probably would have continued writing for awhile, but then I decided to do NaNo. I wasn't about to write and count by hand. I like having the automatic word count.

I realized after I came up with the names that both seers have the "ell" sound in their name. So I decided to make it intentional and say the "Great Spirit" seers worship is called Ell and gave all seer characters that sound in their name. Names so far include Mirabel, Sydelle, Vellith (not yet introduced) and Ellion (not yet introduced, but possible romantic interest).
Call Me Nefret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophie on Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:59 am

Poetic-Jessie wrote:I can see the humour in your writing. I was chuckling away at the descriptions of the Great Wizard and Thomoty, and I especially liked how the gate fell off its hinges ((on the first read-thought) it implied the age of the gate. I imagined rusty hinges screeching every time it opens, wood creaking and threatening the door guards with splinters. Or (on the second read-through) that the Great Mage forced his way through the gate and that's why it fell off the hinges. If that's so, then the Great Mage must be powerful). Either way, I really enjoyed reading this.

Your character sounds like the cranky sort which (with a quick read through your excerpt on your Camp Project Info page) adds humour to your story.

I'm intrigued about the randomly lying about small things. Why does he do that? What sort of trouble has/will he get into for this?

And the scarf wearing reminds me of Doctor Who (considering Momus is a time travelling city, I'm wondering if that's a reference). Overall, I think you've done a good job making your character. He's got flaws and he's very easy to relate to. Cranky characters are a lot of fun to write and read about.

Hope you find this useful Smile

Thank you so much! I'm so glad the humour comes across since writing fantasy and comedy is so difficult! I loooove writing about cranky characters, and he's very fun to write. His lying comes from a fear of being average - he desperately wants to believe that he is special and so he lies as a way to compensate for that. He also has a problem trusting other people, so his lying is a kind of defence mechanism too possibly. In fact, part of why he teamed up with some other characters in the book is that he lied about what his magical forté was. I imagine when it's discovered that he grossly exaggerated what he was capable of doing he will be in a world of trouble haha.

My only problem with him is that he's such a reluctant protagonist it's hard not to drag him along through the story while he digs his heels in. Hopefully during this camp I can rewrite him with some better motivation so he's a bit more willing to move from scene to scene! That was extremely useful. Thank you!

Waterfall17 wrote:I really like this character; even in the intro snippet I can already tell I'm going to enjoy the narration and will more than likely love Thomothy. The lying thing is a fascinating and memorable quirk. I like that he has self-doubt, yet is innately good at magic.

Thank you!! Having him make up totally outrageous lies is really fun to write. I do love that he's a bit of an anti-hero with very few redeeming qualities. At first I was worried that it would make him completely unlikeable so it is sometimes a bit of a juggling act between keeping him in character, and not making him completely infuriating for the reader.

Last edited by Sophie (Admin) on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sophie
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Poetic-Jessie on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Waterfall17 wrote:

How is your cat?

My cat is much better now ^_^ Thanks for asking.
Poetic-Jessie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Poetic-Jessie on Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:30 pm

Sieglinde wrote:
DEMOGRAPHIC CHARACTERISTICS
Name: Idun of the Sapphire Clan
Age: 60-something, which is pretty young for her species
Birthplace: the ancient mines of her clan, under the Mountains That Need A Cool Name. (I'm terrible at naming places, and hey, THAT placeholder is gonna add so much to the wordcount...)

lol have you checked out the name generators that Call Me Nefret put in the resources topic? One that I found particularly good was the fantasynamesgenerators.com. I looked for phoenix names out of pure curiousity and discovered a name better than the one I have for my main character. Anyway, like you, I'm hopeless with place names, and I noticed there was a place name generator, so that might be useful for you (although you might miss out on five extra words if you use it Razz )

Sieglinde wrote:
Occupation/Job Experience: She is a dwarven warrior and a member of the Sapphire clan (my dwarf clans all use gemstone/mineral names, Sapphire is one of the eight clans that make up highter nobility). She is not blood-related to the clan, her mother got to be a full member for her merits in battle. Idun had been trained by the clan's master-at-arms and primarily uses a sword and shield. When the story begins, she's about to do the rite of passage for young dwarves - to brave the surface. She's looking forward to the xp.

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
She's about 4'1", fit and well-built. She's brown, with big black eyes and dark hair that she wears in two braided buns at the nape of her neck. Usually dressed in armour. She wears her clan's gemstone - the dwarven equivalent of heraldry. Although she's young, she had seen a few fights and sports a scar on her left cheek, given to her by a very qickly deceased underground monster.

Personality
Friendly and open. She has a sweet nature and usually tries to help people. Likes to joke around. As the story progresses, she gets more and more allies in her Ragtag Bunch of Misfits, to the point the Big Bad says upon meeting her "oh, you're that dwarf hero who goes around adopting strays and wanted criminals", to which she's like "they are my children now, including the ten feet tall giantess, FIGHT ME". Team Mom. Hard to get her angry, but hurting her friends is a major berserk button.

Strength(s): excellent fighter, both alone and in groups. Good with planning and pretty clever. Has a talent for drums. Excellent at making puppy eyes at people.
Flaw(s): not good at lying or sneaking in, but that's what the team rogues are for, isn't it? Arachnophobic. Which, in a world where giants spiders dwell in most ruins or underground dungeons, is bad news.
Trademark/Quirk: not sure yet.

STORY EXCERPT
none yet

I like how you've separated the clans based on gem stone names. I don't know much about dwarven society, but I think this makes a lot of sense. Do you have a gold clan and is it closely related to the quartz clan? (because usually you find the two minerals together, or if there's a quartz vein, you usually find gold...). Do you include any geology in your books or is this too much effort/research? (One of the best things about fantasy is you don't have to research...) I guess I'm interested in the dwarven society that you've created, like are there warring factions? What are the other clans that make up the higher nobility? Is there a king? I also like the heraldry of the dwarves, it adds to the dwarven world.

I love the appearance of Idun, especially the hairstyle, it reminds me of Princess Leia. I also like that she usually wears armour and that she has a scar on her face. Whenever I read about fighting female characters, they never have facial scars, only little scars over their body. So it's refreshing to see a protagonist not portrayed as having perfectly smooth facial features, despite their dangerous past. It also adds weight to the fact that she's a fighter and physical pain doesn't phase her.

She seems like a likeable and relateable character. 'Team mom' I imagine would resonate with quite a few people and I'd say that her berserk button is quite understandable, most people dislike seeing their friends getting hurt.

I like that she's musical and that she's good at puppy eyes. I'm wondering what sort of situation she uses them in. I think you could have a lot of fun writing her. I also like that she's arachnophobic, this is also a relateable flaw.

Overall, I think you've got a relateable and well developed main character Smile
Poetic-Jessie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieglinde on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Well, her hairstyle is one of the basics from DA:Origins, the one I used (and which many female NPCs have). The buns are a bit further back than Leia's. It looks especially cute on dwarves.

She got the arachnophobia from me Very Happy
Sieglinde

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Poetic-Jessie on Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:33 am

Elowen-Astrid wrote:STORY EXCERPT
Slowly Oliver regained consciousness. His eyes wouldn't open yet, but he heard two children talking to each other. 
"Do you think he is a real knight? a boy asked. 
"ssst, not so loud" hissed a girl. "Maerwynn is sleeping, remember." 
"Sorry" answered the boy with a muffled voice.
"Maerwynn said he is a lord, so I think he is a real Knight." There was admiration in her voice. "You saw his belongings yourself, and his horse. I have never seen such a beautiful horse." 
"Me neither" said the boy in admiration. "Do you think he will teach us how to fight?"
"I don't know" answered the girl. "He has to wake up first" she sounded concerned.
Oliver could not help smiling and opened his eyes. The light in the room hurt his eyes. He moaned and started blinking. 
"He is awake" there was relief and elation in her voice. "Go get Maerwynn, quickly" she said to the boy.

I love this excerpt XD it's such a cute conversation between the kids. I didn't realise that Oliver was a knight, I thought he was just a mage. (But now that I think about it, it makes sense if he is, being a prince and all).
Poetic-Jessie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid on Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:51 am

Poetic-Jessie wrote:I love this excerpt XD it's such a cute conversation between the kids. I didn't realise that Oliver was a knight, I thought he was just a mage. (But now that I think about it, it makes sense if he is, being a prince and all).

I am glad you like it. 

He isn't a knight, not officially (I Think, I don't know. Still need to work on this) but he does have similar skills. It is not like his parents locked him away for being a mage, that would only have been suspicious, he only got some very basic magic training to be able to control his magic. So aside from his basic skill he practically is untrained in the finer arts of magic and doesn't use it very often. The kids do assume he is a knight though. They live in a small rural village where not much happens so when Maerwynn brings him in they of course are very excited.
Elowen-Astrid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nekron on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:52 pm

I suppose I will start for this new round.

The recipe for Clewan is, essentially, take someone like Bertie Wooster and drop him into a cosmic horror plot. He isn't necessarily stupid, but his thoughts have difficulty reaching down to the practical layer of things, so you could say he's a bit air-headed, though he makes up for it with sheer curiosity. Above all, he is suffused with tireless goodwill and geniality to all, though when it comes to actually helping people he tends to think too simply. He has an untouchable sense of self-esteem and is impossible to offend. There is also a definite struggle with questioning people's motives; paranoia and cynicism are utterly foreign to him. Even as the world crumbles around him, somewhere deep inside there's something that can't see it as anything other than a big game of pretend, and, well, he's not entirely wrong.

Sometimes, however, he happens to be the only one around who is capable of this simple, straightforward thinking, and when that happens he shows an earthy astuteness that is really the only sensible response to the ridiculous things around him. Despite being infuriatingly Pollyanna-esque, he can be clever and logical in his own way.

Physically, his only remarkable talent is a proficiency at climbing buildings and other tall things. Despite being lean and reasonably athletic, he was never trained in anything remotely close to combat, being the comfortably middle-class son of the owner of a shipping company. The only unusual feature of his appearance is his shock of curly blond hair, which sets him somewhat apart from the generally Mediterranean-colored people of Fhorr. He has hazel eyes, is of average height and doesn't have a distinctly handsome or a distinctly ugly face.

And he makes an absolutely abysmal narrator. He's really making writing in first-person a challenge because of a tendency to want to go on millions of tangents and also completely misinterpret what is happening. On the flip side, writing as his rambly self is quite a lot of fun.

EDIT: Didn't see the form...thingy. I think the only thing I am really missing is the excerpt.

They carried him feet-front, his head lolling behind, and as they ascended the steps into the city he opened his eyes. I didn't follow the group out of politeness — let him hack away in peace, I say — so I didn't know if it was a trick of the murky light, but I could have sworn he saw me and made an odd face.
"I think he saw me and made an odd face," I said to Elver.
"Your eyes are shit," he replied. "How in the name of my bum would he know who you are?"
"It really doesn't make sense," I agreed. "But I think I should talk to him."
"Talk to the louse all you want. None of my business how much time you waste. Maybe he'll tell you about the rich grub he robbed to get that nice mail. Maybe he'll tell you about how he raped his daughters, too."
"What's the Holy Trench?"
"A shithole. A shithole in a shithole."
"It's north, isn't it? Closer to Arjuba?"
"Closer to the biggest shithole of them all."

Unsatisfied with this explanation, I decided to ask one of the fishers. I caught one as he hauled his net into his little black boat. A man might be irritable when interrupted in the course of his work, yet this one was all smiles, which I appreciated with my heart, if not with my eyes due to the state of his teeth.

Nekron

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top