Fantasy Cabin Retreat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hobby's and interests related to fantasy

5 posters

Go down

Hobby's and interests related to fantasy Empty Hobby's and interests related to fantasy

Post by Elowen-Astrid Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:47 pm

I just can't seem to get anything useful done today. So, I was wondering do you guys have any other hobby's related to fantasy besides writing? 

Personally I like to go to fantasy fairs and festivals, and medieval markets. I also like fencing which I haven't done in a while and I am going to take HEMA lessons (Historical European martial arts). Another thing I would love to learn is archery and I would like to get into medieval and Viking re-enactment. Besides all of this I also like gaming and I love fantasy rpg's.
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Hobby's and interests related to fantasy Empty Re: Hobby's and interests related to fantasy

Post by Poetic-Jessie Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:02 am

HEMA sounds awesome! And you know how to fence? That's a amazing! XD Your hobbies sound like a lot of fun.

I generally play fantasy games and RPGs. As for martial arts, I've studied Shorinji Kempo (based off the martial arts of the Shaolin monks) and Aikido, but I haven't progressed very far in either of them. I did Aikido when I was 3, an Aikido master was my dad's house mate for about ten years and my dad is a martial artist, so I know enough about it to be able to write interesting (in my opinion Razz ) fight scenes and make up different sorts of martial arts (I'm hopeless with the sword fights, but the general kicks and fighting mechanics I'm okay at).

Other than that, I love keeping up with physics and science. They help me create some of my magic systems (like studying genetics and how magic could be passed on to children or how an earth mage might be able to create a diamond).
Poetic-Jessie
Poetic-Jessie

Back to top Go down

Hobby's and interests related to fantasy Empty Re: Hobby's and interests related to fantasy

Post by Elowen-Astrid Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:19 am

Aikido sounds so cool! And having knowledge about such things is always useful, especially for writing. I fenced for about a year, but had to switch clubs because I moved and didn't quite fit in with my new club so... it has been two years now. I hardly know anything about weapon less fighting, and HEMA is very different from modern fencing.
Elowen-Astrid
Elowen-Astrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Call Me Nefret Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:16 am

I've always wanted to LARP, but I live in a quiet, rural, Iowa town. Not a lot of LARPing goes on around here. But I do love forum RPing. I mostly do it on Gaia Online.
Call Me Nefret
Call Me Nefret

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophie Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:58 am

Call Me Nefret wrote:I've always wanted to LARP, but I live in a quiet, rural, Iowa town. Not a lot of LARPing goes on around here. But I do love forum RPing. I mostly do it on Gaia Online.

I know the feeling! I used to LARP when I was back in Australia (since there's a big community there) but no one's even heard of larping here in Japan. It was a lot of fun and I do miss it. I haven't done forum RPing for a long time - I used to do a lot of AIM rp but I haven't done it in years. In fact the last time before the current forum rp I participated in was probably about three years ago. Maybe I should get back into it... No idea where I'd even start though.
Sophie
Sophie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nannara Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:26 pm

I would like to learn swordcraft and I love horse-riding. Two or three times a year I am giving lectures about fantasy related topics at Conventions here in Slovakia. My favourite is Slavcon - nice little con about fantasy, sci-fi, mythology, history and Harry Potter (we have Weekend at Hogwarts and I am Gryffindor in my 4th year, although I have already done one of my O.W.L.) This year I was lecturing about witches in fairy tales and a year before about Arthurian legends in pop-culture.
Nannara
Nannara

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum