Fantasy Maps

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fantasy Maps

Post by Elowen-Astrid on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Do you guys draw maps for your stories. I know I do and I absolutely love to do it. If I had the time i would draw many of them including geographical ones, but I don't so I only have a continental map and a close up Rovèll en the surrounding areas.
So, here is a place for sharing maps, asking questions, sharing tips etc.  

At any rate I wanted to show you my map. This is a map of Rovèll and the surrounding areas with a close up on Rovèll. Rovèll is pretty much finished now in large details. 

Rovèll Maps
Elowen-Astrid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fantasy Maps

Post by Call Me Nefret on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:07 am

I don't usually draw maps, but I might need to for this one, as geography always plays a major part in war. Right now I only know that Erried is north of Orifan and the seer island is way off to the east.
Call Me Nefret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sieglinde on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:17 am

I usually do, but for this story, I'll need city maps for two major cities and I haven't done those before.
Sieglinde

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophie on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:53 am

You guys should check out

https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/world/ (for world maps)
http://inkwellideas.com/free-tools/random-city-map-generator/ (for city maps)

They're both good starting points and will help you visualise where everything is a little better if you're not good at drawing maps like I'm not.
Sophie
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Sophie wrote:They're both good starting points and will help you visualise where everything is a little better if you're not good at drawing maps like I'm not

Practice makes perfect. And I was lucky my boyfriend and a friend of his were more experienced at drawing maps. They made them a lot for their role-plays and explained to me how to draw them. My boyfriend even made a practice map for me to show me how they always did it. 

The links you provided are very useful. I am not good at drawing city maps as well. But I draw my land maps free hand. 

I usually start with a large white sheet of paper and I draw a rough outline. Then I loosely/freely let my hand go over the outline to add more detail to it until I am happy with it. When I am happy about the outline I start working on mountains and rivers. Rivers often flow from mountains and people often live near rivers so I tend to use those for guidelines. Then I tend to determine the scale of the map and perhaps draw a rough outline for certain areas. For the borders of countries I often use natural borders like large rivers and mountains.
Elowen-Astrid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AGradine on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:29 am

Actually came here to make a thread about map-making this morning and saw that of course there already was one!

Then I was going to ask if anyone knew of any resources for smaller-scale map-making, but then I checked out donjon and found that it had map-generation with a lot of granularity and options for dungeon map-making, and just playing around with it tells me it's going to be a huge help. So thanks for the link!

A big part of the reason I've kept my word-count goal so low is how much I worry I'll have to spend time on map-making, especially for my larger dungeons (a mine and both sections of the titular keep). I have several other locations I'll need to key, but most of the rest I feel I can flesh out without having a map to key first. I'd like to be able to get some of my map-making done in June if possible, but I don't know if I'll have time.

One question I have: for those of you who don't just construct maps but draw them (for inclusion in your manuscripts), are there any tools/software that you use, or do you mostly rely on freehand drawing?

AGradine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elowen-Astrid on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:38 pm

AGradine wrote:One question I have: for those of you who don't just construct maps but draw them (for inclusion in your manuscripts), are there any tools/software that you use, or do you mostly rely on freehand drawing?

I rely on freehand drawing, just pencil and paper. I also scale up and down by hand, so I usually have multiple maps of the same size. One with a grid for scaling, one for experimentation (not always though) and one finished version I traced from one of the others.

Good luck on the map making. I am very fond of drawing maps and I would like to do some regional maps eventually.
Elowen-Astrid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top